Dear Thomas,
Many thanks for your quick response!
Apparently, I have the version numbers 1 Beta 6.31 ('Firenze')
and MiKTeX 2.4.

You have 2.5 in your example, so I guess these are not the newest (the www.tug.org/protext/ page from which I downloaded is not explicit about the version numbers, it has protext.exe and protext-2.0.exe, both with a 2007 date -- I took the protext.exe).

Contrary to what you indicate in your message below, LATEX => PS => PDF handles *both* eps and jpg!
This is what I need most of the time, so I shall stick to it.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Huber