Hi Thomas and Karl,

Thanks for your replies -- appreciated.

> Although i must admit, that i'm not a native english speaker, this
> sounds to me as "miktex\bin" should follow the installation directory,
> which would lead to "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\miktex\bin" as pointed
> above.

Indeed, it looks like I glossed this over too hastily and missed the
fact that "miktex\bin" was mentioned. It still sounds maybe a little
bit ambigious to me (almost as if "miktex\bin" is the subdirectory
where the files will be searched for, and that "C:\Program
Files\MiKTeX 2.5" might be the directory to enter -- which is of
course not accepted by TeXnicCenter). But this is no big deal as far
as I'm concerned.

> - Make sure you'll find the following entries on the right side of the mask:
>
> Path to the (La)TeX-Compiler: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\miktex\bin
> Command line arguments... : --src -interaction=nonstopmode "%Wm"

The command line arguments are as above.

But the path was actually "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
2.5\miktex\bin\latex.exe". I removed the last part, such that only the
parent folder of latex (bin) was present: "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
2.5\miktex\bin" -- just to test.

That gave an almost identical error:

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\miktex\bin<two non printable characters
here>Cannot execute the command.<non printable character>Error:<two
non printable characters>%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I've double-checked again that "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
2.5\miktex\bin" has the "latex.exe" and that it can be launched
manually.

The non-printable characters sprinkled throughout the path in the
output window manifest themselves as rectangles. I'm starting to
suspect that they might be related to the problem somehow, although I
don't know why they would get into the path in the first place.

I tried to run ProcessMon to see what files were attempted to be
executed and with what arguments, but didn't actually find any
instance of latex being executed.

Regards,
Robert