hi there, and welcome in the LaTeX world!

short answer: always use pdflatex (LaTeX => PDF), so that you can benefit of all the pdf functionalities (such as: hyperlinks, bookmarks and so on).

Since LaTeX was born before the pdf (de facto) standard, at the beginning the outputs were DVI (stands for DeVice Indipendent) or PostScript (standard printer language).

So, in case you don't have specific requirements, I suggest you to use always pdflatex, since (in my opinion) there is no significant difference in quality for documents printed from pdf or ps.

happy latex-ing!

Alessandro