On 11/08/10 17:52, Eric Niebler wrote:

I don't exactly recall the details of Joel's technique. My experiments
to separate transforms from grammars were largely unsuccessful because
control flow often need pattern matching. I'd like to see alternate designs.
Mine was just a post-order traversal by a visitor that could be specialized on node's tag
Ah, but the control flow of this transform depends on pattern matching
(i.e., the grammar) to dispatch to the correct handler. I'm interested
to see what this arity calculation would look like with a tree traversal.
Last time I tried, i ended up needing a meta-function that gave you the arity of any tag.
Then you did a fold of max over the tree traversal.