There are some terminals that, due to life-time issues, I cannot hold by reference. I don't want, however, to hold them by value.

What I'm currently doing is that I'm holding a shared_ptr by value. For all practical purposes, however, I'd prefer if the expression behaved as a terminal of a reference, i.e. it would be nice if boost::proto::value(xpr) could directly return a T& and not a shared_ptr<T> const&.

Currently I need to treat terminals of shared_ptr specially, but ideally I'd like to have a way to extend terminal value capture with custom holding strategies.

Any way to do this?