On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Kenton Varda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To clarify:  In my original message I was saying that you should call
> isInitialized() on the builder returned by mergeFrom(), to make sure the
> parsed message is complete, before you call build().

Ah.  Now isInitialized() is returning true, though I'm still having problems
deserializing.  Now that I'm using OutputStream and InputStream, I'm getting
the following exception:

com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message tag had
invalid wire type.

I'm going to take my code out of Hadoop to see if Hadoop is causing these
issues.  I'm still weary of that, though, because other serialization
frameworks such as Facebook's Thrift seem to work in the framework that I am
using.

Thanks for your help, Kenton!  I'll check back soon with my progress.