On more follow-up (sorry for all these follow-ups):

I should revise my problem slightly.  I had said that I am given an instance
of a Message class when deserializing.  This is true, though sometimes that
instance is null.  In the cases when it's null, I'm not able to call
newBuilderForType() on it.  I'm not able to call getDefaultInstance(),
either.  This is now problematic, though there may be a work around.  Also
given to me is a Class instance of the Message.  I'm using Reflection to
instantiate a new Message instance, then getDefaultInstance() to get the
default instance, and then I'm calling newBuilderForType().  Is this
problematic?

Thanks again.  Sorry for all the spam!

Alex

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Alex Loddengaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]