Playerlist also has methods:
const RepeatedPtrField<Player>& player() const;
RepeatedPtrField<Player>* mutable_player();

RepeatedPtrField is documented here:

http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/reference/cpp/google.protobuf.repeated_field.html

It has methods which allow you to add an existing object without copying
(look under "Advanced memory management).  Of course, if you use these, then
the Player objects will become property of the Playerlist.  You will have to
be careful to take ownership back from the list later by repeatedly calling
ReleaseLast().

Also note that every protocol message has a CopyFrom() method which can be
used to copy an entire message object, so you would not have to call
set_id(), set_x(), etc. manually.