On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 11:41:53AM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> I don't understand exactly what's going on, but I think the problem is
> that an i386 system cannot represent that constant as int, but amd64 can
> (not sure why...):
> $ python32 -c 'print type(0xffffffff)'
> <type 'long'>
> $ python64 -c 'print type(0xffffffff)'
> <type 'int'>

>From python docs at [1]:
Plain integers (also just called integers) are implemented using long in
C, which gives them at least 32 bits of precision (sys.maxint is always
set to the maximum plain integer value for the current platform, the
minimum value is -sys.maxint - 1).

Since python lacks 'unsigned int' it's represented as long.

--
[1] http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/typesnumeric.html