OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

I work at a seismic earthquake data center. We're looking at using
protocol buffers as a means of internally moving around processed
chunks of data. Seems to work pretty well, as long as the chunks
aren't too large
(which is a problem one way or another). But working with ~5 million
data points
doesn't seem to be any problem.

"some other container format.".... Not exactly sure what that would
look like.

Thanks again.
-B