I would have thought that there was a reflection-based json serializer
for java? A quick search yields "JSON-RPC", but I'm not a java bod, so
I have no idea if this is any good.

Sticking to protocol buffers: not for java, but protobuf-net classes
(for .NET) are compatible with DataContractSerializer and friends,
including DataContractJsonSerializer - so by using the same data class
with different serializers when reading/writing (i.e. read with pb,
write with json) you can translate in either direction.

The classes can also be used with xml (XmlSerializer) and Microsoft's
own binary format (BinaryFormatter).

It isn't quite persistance ignorance (as typically attributes are
required), but it is quite close.

Marc