On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Two issues have arisen:
> 1) (Fairly simple to resolve, probably) - I think it would be worth
> creating a repository of "known" extensions for descriptor.proto.

Or at least a list of who has reserved what field numbers.  Note that
descriptor.proto contains instructions for how to reserve public-use
extension numbers -- currently, it says to e-mail me.  :)

> 2) (More important.) There's no real reason why anything other than C#
> protogen needs to understand these extensions - it would be really
> nice if protoc could avoid adding dependencies from the "business"
> proto file to descriptor.proto and csharp_options.proto. ProtoGen will
> load the descriptor set with the relevant extension registry anyway -
> there's no need to actually mention it in the dependency list.

Instead of extending the language to support this, how about just adding
some code to your code generator which detects when a dependency is only
used for custom options and does not generate language-specific imports in
that case?