I finally took another look at this and figured out the magic
incantation for building fat-binary libraries from the command line
(no XCode needed)

Here it is (assuming sh/bash as your shell):
CXXFLAGS='-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64' ./configure --
enable-dependency-tracking=no

That bit about 'enable-dependency-tracking' turns off the '-M' family
of options that would normally cause GCC to emit enhanced dependency
information to make re-builds during development more likely to be
correct. Those -M options are incompatible with building multiple
architectures under the Apple-enhanced version of GCC.

I think it's not going to work as a framework without some more major
hacking to all the protobuf headers (they'd need different #include
paths when referring to each other) and also to `protoc` to generate
sources with similarly changed #include lines of the headers.