On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Kenton Varda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [cc'ing Petar]
>

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM, DVusBoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a couple of questions regarding the Python implementation.
>>
>> 1. There is a discrepancy between the function signatures of the
>> prototype in google.protobuf.message.Message.ListFields(self,
>> field_name) vs the actual implementation under
>> google.protobuf.reflection._AddListFieldsMethod.ListFields(self).
>> While it doesn't seem to hurt much as the concrete implementation
>> trumps the prototype. It does look a bit weird that ListFields()
>> should take a field_name argument.

I'll fix this.

>> 2. I also am wondering why doesn't a repeated field behaves more like
>> a list in Python? Perhaps it is in keeping API consistency with the C+
>> + implementation, but why can I not do the following, for instance?
>>
>>  message.repeated = [ 1, 2, 3 ]

This (the slice assignment in general, like m.repeated[0:1] = [1, 2, 3]) was
discussed some time ago.
It isn't at all hard to add, the concern is that the it doesn't have a
straight forward alternative in the
C++ API (it can be done in the C++ API, but in a more complicated way). This
may be a problem for
the Python/C API that we are planing to have. It will be a Python C
extension providing the same API
as currently the pure Python API. If we allow slice assignment now, it will
be very hard to forbid it if
it turns to be a problem with the C extension.