Yes, use the TextFormat class to do this from code, or use protoc's --encode
or --decode option to do it from the command line.  For example:
protoc myproto.proto --decode=MyMessageType < encoded_data >
human_readable.txt

Replace --decode with --encode to convert back from text to binary.  You can
also use --decode_raw when you don't have the .proto file defining the type
-- in this case you will only get numeric tags but it may still be useful
for debugging.