On Nov 20, 7:58 am, Kenton Varda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand.  There's nothing stopping you from spreading your
> definitions out among multiple .proto files which import each other, and
> there's nothing stopping you from exporting multiple services from a single
> server.  You'll need to design a protocol that allows it, but protocol
> buffers doesn't do anything to prevent it.  Can you be more specific about
> the problem you're facing, maybe giving an example?

I can have multiple services per server? That's what I wanted to know.
I could not any place in the documentation where it talked about
whether Service has a 1:1 or Many:1 relationship with RpcController.
It seemed like it was 1:1 from all the examples I had seen, hence my
confusion. Next time you're updating the docs in this area, it might
be worth changing the example to show 2 Services so it's clear to
others.

I was also thinking of services running on ports on Linux systems. In
this situation, it is a 1:1 relationship between services and ports. I
know it's a different situation, but my thinking got stuck on the term
service.

If I can define as many services as I like and attach them all to the
same RPC Controller, then that will answer my question & give me the
extensible modular design I want. I had thought there had to be an
answer like this because I couldn't imagine Google's internal
applications would want to be bound by such a serious limitation.

Thanks!