When I use the following code with protobuff listOfCapacityTypes:

  int dataFile = open("capacityTypes", O_RDONLY);
  taskingElement_sim::CapacityTypes listOfCapacityTypes;
  google::protobuf::io::ZeroCopyInputStream* fileInput = new
google::protobuf::io::FileInputStream(dataFile);

  if (!google::protobuf::TextFormat::Parse(fileInput,
&listOfCapacityTypes)) ...

It works fine, but when I tried to move this code to a separate
function and declare listOfCapacityTypes to be a pointer so I can
return it, it segfaults when it gets to the if statement

  if (!google::protobuf::TextFormat::Parse(fileInput,
listOfCapacityTypes)) ...

I tried to cast it as a pointer to base class Message, but it did not
help..
Can anyone help?

Thank you!
Anton Krivin