As requested, a repost of my earlier message on the original thread:

You're talking about scalar fields, right?  Because nested message
fields can be serialized individually, just like their parents.  I
think it's a cool idea, and it doesn't look that hard to implement,
but I'm not sure how useful it would be - if you're streaming a
message, you just need (tag, value) pairs, which is what a full
message is anyway, so there's no extra overhead.  However, streaming
messages definitely needs to be implemented.

Cheers,
Alek Storm