Hi,

I want to use Protocol Buffers in a similar way as described as "Union
Types" in the page "Techniques" (http://code.google.com/intl/sv/apis/
protocolbuffers/docs/techniques.html) . In order to get maximum
performance I want to check which message is actually coming before
parsing the full buffer, so that
I can determine with minimum CPU load if it shall be forwarded,
discarded or parsed.

I.e. i'm thinking of peeking into the buffer and check the value of
the type field, or even skip the
type field altogether and instead check the field number of the
message.

Is there any support for such peeking ? Or need it be a hack ... that
must be updated if the encoding changes.

BR /Sören