Tests are not run as part of the build.  I think the actual problem is that
the makefile is attempting to invoke protoc to generate some .pb.* files
which are then compiled into the tests (though I think automake builds them
even if you aren't compiling tests because it is too dumb to know).  You
should be able to prevent this by making sure those files are already there
before you run make, e.g. by copying the .pb.* files over from a directory
where you have run a normal build.

I suppose we should find some trick to make this easier...