> Was libprotobuf.lib compiled in the same mode (debug vs. release) and with
> the same version of MSVC as your project?  If not, it could be a binary
> compatibility issue between the various versions of the CRT that MSVC uses
> in different modes.

Unfortunately it was. I've been double and triple checking that as I
go seeing as that seems to be the number one culprit of protobuf
release mode crashes. We use other std classes in our project with no
apparent problems, including vector, string, and cout from iostream.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Fedor