I just reread your post, and if I understand correctly has_*() does
tell the receiver if an optional field was received or not.  At least,
in C++ that is the case.

Someone on another team needs to use C#, and they are looking at the
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-net/ version.  However, they say
that there is no way in C# to tell if the field is present or not when
a message is received.  This seems like a very basic feature of the
protocol, so I am very curious if this is true or not.