I've tested in on OSX, FreeBSD, and Solaris, but those are not terribly
different from Linux.  The Google implementations of protobufs definitely
weren't designed for embedded systems, but there might be a case for taking
the Google C++ implementation and ripping out all the "advanced" features to
make something extremely stripped-down.