Has anyone written a ZeroCopyOutputStream that compresses its output
with zlib on the way out? (Ideally there'd be a matching
GZIPInputStream.) This is of course trivial in Java, but my project is
in C++.

I recently noticed that one of my protobuf-data-files still benefitted
from gzip at a ratio slightly better than 7 to 1.

I'm imagining usage like this:
ZeroCopyOutputStream* file_out = new FileOutputStream(fd);
ZeroCopyOutputStream* zlib_out = new GZIPOutputStream(file_out);
CodedOutputStream* code_out = new CodedOutputStream(zlib_out);
code_out.WriteTag(42);
my_message.SerializeToCodedStream(code_out);

If there's any interest and no prior art I may get around to this
myself in a day or two. My files will just have to be big until then.