2009/3/2 Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com>

> It would be nice if there was an open-source benchmark suite that would
>> make it easier to compare performance across implementations.
>>

> I believe Jon Skeet was working on that.  Jon, any progress?

The relevant data is all available under

http://github.com/jskeet/dotnet-protobufs/tree/master

Relevant files:
protos/google/benchmark.proto and protos/google/benchmark_speed.proto -
protobuffer description files
testdata/benchmark_message1.dat and testdata/benchmark_message3.dat - sample
binary data
src/ProtoBench/Program.cs - code to execute benchmarks against arbitrary
messages
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-csharp-port/wiki/ProtoBench - a little bit
of documentation

I've ported the code to Java, but haven't sent it to Kenton yet. I don't
know exactly where we'd want to put it in the main distribution. Kenton, how
do you want to proceed with this?

Obviously it would be nice to see the same metrics ported to lots of
implementations. If there are other metrics which would be useful, they
should be easy to integrate.

Jon