On Mar 2, 10:52 am, Stephan Richter <stephan.rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The outcome looks about right. In the latest version of Python, even
> simplejson has C extensions. A one order of magnitude difference between a
> pure Python versus C implementation is about right, if not too small. I would
> have expected a difference of 20-50 times.
>
> Besides the fact that this post is is far too short on details - i.e. Python
> version, OS, hardware -- I would look at it as a great motivation to get the
> C extensions for PB done quickly. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

Hi all :-)

I actually posted a follow up:
http://bouncybouncy.net/ramblings/posts/more_on_json_vs_thrift_and_protocol_buffers/
It turned out I didn't have the simplejson C extension installed...
With that installed the speed difference was much greater.

The test were run on python2.4 on a 3.2gz p4.

Aside from the speed I really like Protocol Buffers, the API and docs
are very well done :-)

- Justin