On Mar 3, 11:06 pm, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> sk...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > There's one major blocker at the moment though: all my copies of the
> > Google test .proto files are decorated with the C# options. *At the
> > moment* that means the Java and C++ code would have to build the C#
> > options as well. I'm looking into adding something to the import
> > syntax so that an import could be marked as "options only" which would
> > mean that the types within it could only be used when applying options
> > (rather than defining fields) but the import wouldn't be in the list
> > of dependencies. At that point, the C# options could be applied
> > "harmlessly" in terms of the Java/C++. (If anyone has any better
> > suggestions for getting round this, I'm all ears.)
>
> You could also just fork those files.

Well, the files are effectively forked now. But there's a bigger issue
- I don't want the C# options to force anyone to generate C++ and Java
files if I can help it. It'll only get worse if different languages
add their own options. Imagine in 5 years - an open source project
comes out with a .proto file with support for 5 languages. Suddenly
your Java code has dependencies on Perl options, Python options, C#
options, Ruby options etc. Ick.

Anyway, I'll experiment for a while and report when I get back.

> > There's also the matter of working out how the C# port would end up
> > getting built - I currently use NAnt/MSBuild, and my make knowledge is
> > very limited. That's a relatively minor issue though.
>
> Well, currently we only use make for C++.  Java uses Maven, Python uses
> setuptools.  Every language seems to have their own favorite
> ostensibly-language-independent build system.

:) I've spoken to the Mono folks recently and apparently the C# port
*very nearly* builds now on Mono - I'm going to try to get that
working very soon. I'd really like to be able to give perf figures for
both .NET and Mono.

Jon