Without the actual config.log it's hard to tell what's going on.  You
may send it to me privately if you want.

If you have a working <endian.h> or <mach/endian.h>, we shouldn't need
to run a test program.  but i have never written an iphone app, so i
have really no idea if they have such a header.

If they don't have any tests that don't require running a program, i
could probably add a hack to allow the user to force it, or to disable
the little-endian optimizations (which turns the code portable).

- dave