Sorry, I realize that wasn't a very clear statement...

What I mean is, if there is an option which does not leave any
"fingerprint" in either the serialized message or the
FileDescriptorSet, so that you can't tell how the option was set by
looking at either of these, then the option is controlling only code
generation and is not affecting the service contract.  So it should
not be in the .proto file.

I think that applies to the package statement as well as
optimize_for.  Protocol Buffers does not put globally unique
signatures into the messages or descriptors based on your package
declaration.  It only affects the code generation.

- Alex