Kenton,
    Thanks for your answers. I believe you've answered both of them.
My application unfortunately has very stringent requirements for the
format and layout of the data that will be streamed into and out of
it. Essentially, we will be sending binary data packets over a TCP or
UDP socket. The protocol defines the structures for each message type
rather rigidly.

Thanks again,
Prashanth Nandavanam