Hi Brian. There is a pretty fundamental reason for this: the binary
wire format doesn't have a meaningful way of expressing null. Under
the default Nullable<T> usage, it treats the null value as "do not
serialize" (although there are other ways of expressing this too). I
will get this written up on a FAQ, I promise! One of the joys of
mapping two subtly different type models together...

It sounds like the correct behaviour would be to throw an exception in
this case (since it is both required and missing); is that what you
would expect? Let me know and I'll open an issue.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Marc Gravell