I believe you can concatenate two (serialized) messages together,
yielding a message with all the fields from both messages.

So if all your fields are optional, you could create one instance of
your message with just the fields common to both clients, and another
instance with just the fields you want to send to client 2.  Serialize
both instances, send instance 1 to client 1, and send the concatenation
of instance 1 and instance 2 to client 2.

That way, there's no double serialization, and each client only gets the
fields you want to send to them.

--
Jeremy Leader
jlea...@oversee.net