HI,
  I have a bad solution. What I've been doing has been generating the .cc/.h
files, and then using doxygen to document those classes. You can document
C++ classes from files other than the header files that define the classes.
 It's messy, error prone, and you end up with a lot of extra methods
document that you really don't want. In summary, I'd suggest doing it
another way.  The detailed message documentation is lost in a sea of
undocumented methods.

  In the past, I have started working on patching doxygen to read and parse
.proto files. I didn't get as far as I would have liked. I also looked at
using the compiler/parser that is part of the protobuf source code, but that
strips out the comments.  My other thought was to use a custom option for
the comment string. Then writer a Python script that read in the descriptor
proto file, and generated documentation from that.  The other thought I had
was to patch the C++ code generator class to generate comments in the source
files in the doxygen format, but I didn't want to tie the code generator to
a documentation format.

 I still think the best option would be to update doxygen to support reading
the .proto files, but it is also the most work (maybe not in the long
term).

Mark