The existing Java implementation is probably too heavyweight for J2ME.
 Sorry.
The encoding is documented here:
http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/encoding.html

Is this a Google service you want to talk to?  If so, are you working with
one of the Google mobile teams at all?  They might have tips on how to deal
with protocol buffers under J2ME.