Thanks for the reply.  I think I understand what is happening here but
have an additional question.

You stated three rules.  When you say "...singular embedded messages/
groups will be merged.", does that imply that the other rules are
simply applied recursively?

That is, suppose the .proto was defined like so:

message Collection {
  required string foo;
  repeated Mydata;
}

message MyData {
  required float bar;
  required float time;
  required AmpData;
}

message AmpData {
  required int type;
}

Based on your statements I would think that the "cat procedure" I
inquired about would provide the functionality I desire because, even
though both MyData and AmpData contain singular primitives, they are
part a repeated embedded message and therefore should be merged/
concatenated.

Moreover, based on my interpretation, all data from the individual
0.dat, 1.dat, ... files would be present in the fullday.dat file,
minus any top level singular primitive fields.  That is, it appears
that the only data I stand to lose is the top-level primitives in
message Collection, which I can live with given my alternatives.

Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks again.