This is really a bug with setuptools.  It seems that they do not bother
building older versions of setuptools against newer versions of Python.
 However, when the protobuf package was originally created, 0.6c8 was the
newest version of setuptools (and Python 2.6 didn't exists yet, I suppose).
 As a result, anyone trying to install protobuf with newer version of Python
gets this error.
If you install setuptools manually before running setup.py, it should work
-- in this case it should not try to download the package itself.