On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Alexander Philippou <
alexander.philip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The redundancy elimination mechanism of FI is actually a vocabulary
> and it works differently than compression algorithms do.

I think we define "compression" differently.  In my book, "redundancy
elimination" and "compression" are pretty much synonymous.  It sounds like
you are using a more specific definition (LZW?).

> FI documents
> are good candidates for compression irrespective of whether a
> vocabulary is used or not. We've done a few tests with medium/large-
> sized documents and protobuf wasn't more compact than FI.

Sure, but FI wasn't smaller than protobuf either, was it?  I would expect
that after applying some sort of LZW compression to *both* documents, they'd
come out roughly the same size.  (FI would probably have some overhead for
self-description but for large documents that wouldn't matter.)

Without the LZW applied, perhaps FI is smaller due to its "redundancy
elimination" -- I still don't know enough about FI to really understand how
it works.  However, I suspect protobuf will be much faster to parse and
encode, by virtue of being simpler.