> Below is the data I collected. I decided not to do static linking
> as it wouldn't be helpful for a size constrained system.

... curious, but okay.  Unnecessary/unresolved symbols and their
associated instructions won't be included in the final resulting
binary, so unless your embedded app does a lot of fork(2)/exec(2) and
benefits from using shared pages, I don't understand why it wouldn't
be helpful.  Did you at least try stripping the binary to see how much
of the output was debugging information?  Surely an embedded app would
ship with that information removed.  The size of C++'s debugging
information is impressive and not to be understated.  For example:

% /usr/local/bin/g++43 -g ${CXXFLAGS} ${WFLAGS} -o foobin.debug $
{FOOBIN_OBJS} lib/libprotobuf.a -static
% cp foobin.debug foobin.strip
% strip -s foobin.strip
% du -h foobin.debug foobin.strip
 10M    foobin.debug
2.0M    foobin.strip
% size foobin.strip foobin.debug
1879465   19764  160760 2059989  1f6ed5 foobin.strip
1879465   19764  160760 2059989  1f6ed5 foobin.debug

Cheers.