Hi -

Is there any plan to merge ctype into the open source protobuf
library?  If so, how would it work?

Ideally I'd be able to supply any datatype for a field to pack/unpack
directly rather than the standard double/int/RepeatedField<>/Message.

For instance, on my project we still have a glaring need for a matrix
datatype.  "packed=true" helps enormously.  Now, serialization-wise, a
message Matrix { optional int32 rows = 1; optional int32 cols = 2;
repeated double values = 3 [packed=true]; } is fine.  But, if I could
somehow slip my datatype in there, we'd have everything we needed,
like so:

message MyMessage {
  optional Matrix m = 1 [ctype=BOOST_MATRIX];
}

Is using ctype not only for fields but for Message datatypes under
consideration?

Thanks,.
Scott