Thanks very much for the answers guys. Most illustrative. The error
messages did in fact disappear with that simple change in all my proto
files.

Still, now that this error has shown in the code I have, I keep
wondering whether the fact that I'm serialising to string is
inefficient. What would be the case for using serialisation to a
stream then?

Thanks again for the help.

Dan