In v2.1.0 I've added a parameter to the configure script --with-protoc=
which lets you specify an alternate protoc binary to use when compiling.
 This way, the makefiles won't invoke the protoc they just built.  So,
cross-compiling should work.
However, I haven't actually tested this with cross-compiling as I don't
actually have a cross-compiling setup available to me.  It would be great if
one of you could test this feature.

The release candidate (2.1.0rc1) can be found here:
http://groups.google.com/group/protobuf/files

<http://groups.google.com/group/protobuf/files>Please let me know if it
works.