On Jun 1, 9:37 am, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> The official implementations do NOT accept multiple encodings, but it would
> theoretically be possible for them to do so.  This wasn't implemented mainly
> because code size bloat is a big problem and accepting multiple encodings
> would increase code size -- even users who don't even use [packed=true]
> would be affected, since they'd still need to generate code which accepts
> it.

I totally understand this concern.  On the other hand, I'm a bit
afraid of a precedent that options are part of the interoperability
contract -- that your options have to match for you to interoperate
properly.  Most options are things that are more like preferences.
They are things that one application might *want* to do differently
than another application, even though the two applications are
interoperating.  Having some options that can vary and some options
that must not vary sounds like a recipe for problems.

To me the right answer is to draw a line in the sand and say "options
can't break interoperability of serialization/deserialization."
Thoughts?

Josh