Indeed. Python performance is quite low according to my tests.
Definitely workable for small objects, although very slow for larger
structures. When comparing to C++ or Apache Thrift python bindings on
the same datastructure (basically a 2D array of strings @ >10MB) we
saw several orders of magnitude difference, both serializing and
deserializing.

This was on Python 2.4. I'm sure it's faster on 2.6.

An alternate set of python bindings to the C++ interface would be a
lovely thing.

Cheers,
Daniel Lundin