Marc Gravell writes:

> I'm sorry - I didn't do a good job with the question...
>
> I meant with things like integer, float, etc...
>
> With the packed encoding, it *seems* like it would be possible to send
> jagged array-like data fairly efficiently.
>
> I wasn't referring to string/message.

Without loss of generality, assume a field such as this:

  repeated int32 myints = 1 [packed];

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the behavior when
there are several instances of such a field in a buffer -- for
example, myints : { 1, 2, 3 } followed by myints : { 4, 5 }.  The
current behavior is that a program ends up with the same data
structure as if it encountered myints : { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 }: it gets one
array of int32 elements.

Your suggestion is that a program could instead generate a "jagged"
array-of-arrays from this data.  The first element of the myints field
would contain {1, 2, 3} and the second would contain {4, 5},
reflecting the message's structure "on the wire".  Do I understand
correctly?

(I can see the benefit of allowing that, but it does significantly
change the semantics of message concatenation, and it adds a new
family of generated data types.)

Michael