For info, protobuf-net (a separate implementation) works on SL2; I
haven't tried it on the SL3 bits, but I could give it a go.

On the plus side, this is more .NET idiomatic, and allows either
contract-first (.proto) or can be used with your existing types; on
the other hand, it uses a different API to the main Google api (which
may be a re-statement of the first point, come to think of it...)

http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-net/

Marc Gravell
(protobuf-net)