This is tricky as the Python API (like the C++ API) has a strong sense of
ownership.  Outer messages "own" the message objects embedded inside them.
 In the Python API, this is necessary because assigning a field in an
optional sub-message may also cause the sub-message itself to become present
in the parent, and marks the parent dirty, meaning that some cached
information needs to be recomputed.  If you were allowed to append message
objects allocated externally, this could get muddled.  For example, what
happens if you do:
  message1 = parse_message(...)
  message2 = MyMessage()
  message2.submessage.append(message1.submessage[0])

Now message1 and message2 presumably share an embedded message instance.
 Then what happens when you modify the sub-message?  Both message1 and
message2 would have to be marked dirty.  So we'd have to start keeping track
of multiple parents for each message object, which is rather convoluted.

So I think the current approach will probably stay.