The memory footprint of the protobuf library is around a megabyte
(stripped).  It sounds like you have enough space for that.  You don't need
to worry about speed or runtime memory usage (other than code footprint) --
the implementation is already very heavily optimized on both counts, and
that optimization should work equally well on embedded platforms.
That said, we are aware that the footprint is too big.  It was designed for
beefy servers, not embedded systems.  The good news is, we're fixing it.  I
am currently working with the Google Android developers to produce "lite"
versions of both the C++ and Java libraries.  The "lite" libraries will omit
support for things like descriptors, reflection, and unknown fields, and
thus will be much smaller than the current library.

The "lite" versions will provide a nearly-identical API other than the
intentionally missing features.  So, for now, simply make sure that you do
not use descriptors or reflection in your code, and you should be able to
switch to the "lite" runtime easily once it is available.  I hope to have
this in SVN within a few weeks.