Note that the protocol buffer parser is not asynchronous.  That means you
either need to feed it an entire message at once, or it will need to block
waiting for mode data to arrive on the input stream.  So if you want to do
something asynchronous, you best bet is probably to do your own buffering
until you have received an entire message, then pass the bytes off to the
protobuf parser.  You probably won't need to implement any custom
ZeroCopyStreams for that.