Hello,

The "length delimited" encoding basically tells that the following N
bytes belong to this field. Wouldn't it be easier to instead use the
number of elements that belong to the embedded message (repeated
element).

Now (as far as I have understood) the message needs to be built from
fragments and then collected together as the lengths are not known
beforehand and it would be expensive to calculate the byte-length of
the embedded message.

Instead, it would be relatively inexpensive to calculate just the
number of following elements that make the embedded message before
starting to encode it.

This would enable streaming of PB or encoding and sending the elements
right as they are encoded.

Sorry if I misunderstood something. I have just started looking at BP.