The Java ME version: http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-javame/
Should work fine with earlier versions of Java, I have however not
tested it.

I had an idea to optimize it for Java 1.4 as well, to offer things
like ArrayList and so on but didn't really know if there was any need
for it.
Let me know if you try out the Java ME version on Java 1.4 and please
remember that it is not in a final release version yet.

Jarle Hansen